相关推荐
雅思口语Part3: 谎言Lies
2020-02-06 14:16
来源:Sharon黄文琪
作者:黄文琪
detect one's lie 察觉谎言
You detected my lie very easily!你怎么这么轻易就察觉我的谎言了。
tell a fib 撒小谎
tell by the smirk on your face 脸上闪过了不自然的笑容
I could tell by the smirk on your face that you were telling a fib
我之所以能察觉,是因为你撒小谎的时候,脸上闪过了不自然的笑容。
avoid trouble 避免麻烦
cheat people 欺骗别人
impress someone 让某个人记住你
So, lying is something I'm sure a lot of us do - sometimes to avoid trouble, sometimes to cheat people, or sometimes just to impress someone.
我觉得,我们很多人都会撒谎。有时是为了避免麻烦;有时是为了欺骗别人;有时只是为了让某个人记住你。
a barefaced lie 公然的谎言
That's just a barefaced lie!厚颜无耻的人才会说这种谎话!
don't actually say all the time exactly what we really think and what we really mean 不可能时时刻刻都表达自己的真实想法和想要表达的东西
Often what we mean by lying is someone setting out to deceive us with their words or their actions but actually normal conversation probably can only happen because we don't actually say all the time exactly what we really think and what we really mean.我们经常说的撒谎是有人言行上欺骗了我们,不过事实上,在日常对话中,往往说谎是因为我们不可能时时刻刻都表达自己的真实想法和想要表达的东西。
make conversation polite 使对话显得更礼貌
And that kind of cooperation is at the heart, I think, of a lot of social interactions for humans and I think that's one of the strong pushes to make conversation polite and therefore frequently not actually truthful.
我认为,这种配合发生在很多人类社会交际中,我觉得,这种谎言是一股强大的推力,使对话显得更礼貌,因此,屡次这样说假话。
white lie 善意的谎言
avoid upsetting someone 为了不惹恼别人
That's just dishonest, but there are also what I like to call white lies - small lies we tell to avoid upsetting someone.这是不诚实的表现,不过还有一种谎言,我喜欢叫"善意的谎言",这是我们为了不惹恼别人而撒地一些小谎。
cooperation is at the heart 配合是核心
So, we want to make conversation polite because we want to cooperate with each other - she says cooperation is at the heart.所以可以说,我们想要让对话变得礼貌一些,因为我们都想要配合对方--她说配合是核心。
telltale/ˈtelteɪl/ signs 迹象
shuffle one's feet 挪脚
face turn red 脸会变红
Sometimes there are telltale signs, such as someone's face turning red or someone shuffling their feet.有时候,会有一些撒谎的迹象,比如,有的人脸会变红、有的人会不住地挪脚。
liar 撒谎者
Liars in general say less.一般来说,撒谎者说的话不多。
listen out for the response latency/ˈleɪtənsi/留心听反应时滞
So to detect lies we need to listen out for the response latency - a term used in psychology to describe the time taken between a stimulus or question and a response to it.要想察觉谎言,在遇到反应时滞时,我们要留心听,反应时滞是心理学术语,用来形容一个刺激或者问题与回答之间相隔的时间。
the more .... the more...
The bigger the gap, the more chance there is that someone is lying.
一个人间隔的时间越久,则撒谎的机率越大。
honesty is the best policy 诚实是最好的策略
Well now you know how to detect my lies, Sam, maybe honesty is the best policy - as they say.
萨姆,现在你知道该如何识别我的谎言了,或许诚实是最好的策略了,正如他们说的。
了解课程、预约活动或者有任何问题可以点击下方图片咨询新东方老师哦
相关推荐